Fellowship Programme for "Drop Tower Experiment Series" (DropTES)
8th round is OPEN!!! Go to
Application page for details
The Drop Tower Experiment Series is a fellowship programme of the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) in which students can learn and study microgravity science by performing experiments in a drop tower. The Bremen Drop Tower in Germany is a ground-based laboratory with a drop tube of a height of 146 meters, which can enable short microgravity experiments to be performed in various scientific fields, such as fluid physics, combustion, thermodynamics, material science and biotechnology.
In collaboration with the
Center of Applied Space Technology and Microgravity (ZARM) and the
German Aerospace Center (DLR), the fellowship programme offers a selected research team the opportunity to conduct its own microgravity experiments at the Bremen Drop Tower. The series of experiments will consist of four drops or catapult launches during which approximately 5 or 10 seconds of microgravity, respectively, are produced.
- The DropTES Fellowship Programme is open to research teams from entities that are Member States of the United Nations. Teams should consist of up to four Bachelor, Master and/or PhD students who must be endorsed by an academic supervisor.
- It is further required that the proposed experiment be an integral part of the students' syllabuses, that is, part of a Bachelor thesis, a Master thesis, a PhD thesis, or another form of research project associated with the applicants' studies at the respective university.
DropTES previous cycles
The results of the DropTES previous cycles can be seen here:
fifth cycle and
interview of the 2020 winners
DropTES: 8th Round Announcement of Opportunity Webinar
11 February 2021
For the presentations & recordings, go to the
Eight Round Application Page
Experiences from the Past Winners of DropTES
11 November 2020
- Remarks from the Permanent Mission of the Federal Republic of Germany to the United Nations (Vienna) (
- UNOOSA: Overview of DropTES - Hazuki Mori (
- ZARM: UN fellowshiip program at the Bremen Drop Tower - Thorben Könemann (
- DropTES winner 2014 - Nabil Ayoub and Farah Atour (
video AM session,
video PM session )
- DropTES winner 2015 and 2020 - Jhon Ordoñez
- DropTES winner 2016 - Moacir Fonseca-Becker (
- DropTES winner 2018 - Agota Simon (
- DropTES winner 2019 - Alvaro Romero-Calvo, Antonio J. García-Salcedo(
video PM )
Questions and Answers
For further information regarding the Fellowship Programme and applications, please contact through UNOOSA contact page;